Make your own little library of handmade books
in just 5 days!
May 22nd - May 26thJOIN NOW FOR $15
What is the Little Library 5-Day Challenge?
The Little Library 5-Day Challenge will guide you through the process of making three handmade books--your own little library. I'm Ali Manning and I'll be your guide! Each day I'll teach you the basic skills you need to put together these fun books.
COST IS $15.
You don't have to be a bookbinding pro to take part!
Crafters of all types—mixed media artists, painters, quilters, art journalers—are all welcome to join the challenge! The pre-recorded video instructions are easy to follow, and you'll have lots of support from me and the community during the challenge.
When you purchase the challenge, here's what you get:
How It Works
- Before signing up, you can view the supply list below!
- When you sign up for the challenge, you immediately get access to a welcome video and additional resources.
- While you wait for the challenge to begin on May 22nd, you can gather your supplies and join the 5-Day Challenge Facebook group.
- Every day of the challenge, you get access to that day's prerecorded instructional video. You can also join the optional daily Zoom calls at 10AM and 4 PM EST to ask questions and participate in gift card giveaways!
- Once you finish your books, you can submit photographs to be included in our 5-Day Challenge wrap-up movie.
- On the Sunday after the challenge (May 28th), you can participate in the 5-Day Challenge wrap-up party to share your work and celebrate completing the challenge!
If you have any questions, check out the FAQ at the bottom of the page.
Tool & Supply List
Here's everything you'll need for the Little Library 5-Day Challenge.
More details will be available after sign-up.
- 48 pages of 9" x 12" drawing paper
- 3 covers measuring 6.25" x 12" (leather, faux-leather, Kraft-tex, heavy paper etc) plus a few scraps
- Waxed linen thread in a variety of colors or pearl cotton and beeswax
- 12" thin elastic cord
- 16" leather cord, ribbon or fabric
- 1 button
- Bone folder
- Sharp craft knife
- Tool for creating 1/16" or 2mm holes in your chosen cover material
- Triangle or quilting ruler (optional)
- Pencil & eraser
- Thin bookbinding awl or needle in a cork
- Punching cradle, old phone book, or piece of foam/cardboard to punch sewing holes
- Paper clips or similar
Challenge Days Sneak Peek
On each day of the challenge, you'll get a new video that teaches you how to make the next part of your book. Below is a sneak peek of what we'll be doing each day!
Day 1: Create Pages
On the first day, we'll create all the journal pages.
Day 2: Prepare Covers
On day 2, we'll cut out our covers and sewing templates.
Day 3: Chain Stitch Book
On day 3, we'll sew the Chain Stitch Book.
Day 4: Long Stitch Book
On day 4, we'll sew the Long Stitch Book.
Day 5: Running Stitch Book
On the final day, we'll sew the Running Stitch Book.
Years ago I learned about handmade books, and ever since then I’ve been hooked. I love creating new designs, learning about different techniques and expanding my collection of paper. But what I love most about bookmaking is the community.
Through Vintage Page Designs and the Handmade Book Club, I’ve met thousands of other passionate bookmakers, mixed media artists and crafters. We all share a love of book arts just for the joy of it.
I believe that bookbinding and book arts are for everyone, regardless of skill level or equipment. All you need is a little creativity and, of course, paper!