What is the Little Library 5-Day Challenge?
The Little Library 5-Day Challenge will guide you through the process of making three handmade books--your own little library. I'm Ali Manning and I'll be your guide! Each day I'll teach you the basic skills you need to put together these fun books.
COST IS $15.
You don't have to be a bookbinding pro to take part!
Crafters of all types—mixed media artists, painters, quilters, art journalers—are all welcome to join the challenge! The pre-recorded video instructions are easy to follow, and you'll have lots of support from me and the community during the challenge.
When you purchase the challenge, here's what you get:
How It Works
- Before signing up, you can view the supply list below!
- When you sign up for the challenge, you immediately get access to a welcome video and additional resources.
- While you wait for the challenge to begin on May 22nd, you can gather your supplies and join the 5-Day Challenge Facebook group.
- Every day of the challenge, you get access to that day's prerecorded instructional video. You can also join the optional daily Zoom calls at 10AM and 4 PM EST to ask questions and participate in gift card giveaways!
- Once you finish your books, you can submit photographs to be included in our 5-Day Challenge wrap-up movie.
- On the Sunday after the challenge (May 28th), you can participate in the 5-Day Challenge wrap-up party to share your work and celebrate completing the challenge!
If you have any questions, check out the FAQ at the bottom of the page.
Tool & Supply List
Here's everything you'll need for the Little Library 5-Day Challenge.
More details will be available after sign-up.
- 48 pages of 9" x 12" drawing paper
- 3 covers measuring 6.25" x 12" (leather, faux-leather, Kraft-tex, heavy paper etc) plus a few scraps
- Waxed linen thread in a variety of colors or pearl cotton and beeswax
- 12" thin elastic cord
- 16" leather cord, ribbon or fabric
- 1 button
- Bone folder
- Sharp craft knife
- Tool for creating 1/16" or 2mm holes in your chosen cover material
- Triangle or quilting ruler (optional)
- Pencil & eraser
- Thin bookbinding awl or needle in a cork
- Punching cradle, old phone book, or piece of foam/cardboard to punch sewing holes
- Paper clips or similar
Challenge Days Sneak Peek
On each day of the challenge, you'll get a new video that teaches you how to make the next part of your book. Below is a sneak peek of what we'll be doing each day!
Day 1: Create Pages
On the first day, we'll create all the journal pages.
Day 2: Prepare Covers
On day 2, we'll cut out our covers and sewing templates.
Day 3: Chain Stitch Book
On day 3, we'll sew the Chain Stitch Book.
Day 4: Long Stitch Book
On day 4, we'll sew the Long Stitch Book.
Day 5: Running Stitch Book
On the final day, we'll sew the Running Stitch Book.